Saturday, June 13, 2009

Name

It took me forever
to come up with the name for this.
Titles are very important to me.
It's a throwback to
my eleven year old self,
when I used to spend hours
leafing through baby name books,
looking for the name that sparked my heart.
It might have been because I wanted my characters to be unique right off the bat;
I stuck with names like Ivy and December.
I'm not sure what it says about my writing,
but I know what it says about me.
Because back then, I would have given
anything
to be something other than the kid I was.


I was looking for a name
that said with one, two, three words
what I've been feeling.
A name that showed the brilliance of photos
of friends and birds and sunsets.
A name that told
how good it is to be alive
and how hard we all have to try.
I wanted a name that expressed things
that I don't have words for.
I guess that's what this writing is for.
Anyway, I think I came close.

© Copyright 2009 Abby Almon

No comments:

Post a Comment